A safer home in minutes
In 2017, 1,873 fires were caused in England by domestic white goods such as tumble dryers, dishwashers and fridges, meaning that more than 5 fires took place per day.
It is known that at least 750 fires reported since 2004 have involved Creda, Indesit and Hotpoint tumble dryers alone, which are owned by Whirlpool, who have issued multiple warnings in recent years across several product model numbers. The fault within the dryers is that excess fluff from the filter can come into contact with the heating element, posing a serious fire risk.
Trading standards had to step in and issue two enforcement notices on Whirlpool, forcing them to notify customers of the fault and to unplug and not use any possible affected tumble dryers.
January 16th marked Register My Appliance Day for domestic appliances and electricals. The Association of Manufactures of Domestic Appliances (AMDEA) have developed a new website www.registermyappliance.org.uk, where you can register your fridges, freezers, washing machines and other appliances/electricals to ensure you are the first to know about any recalls or faults.
Most brands accept registration of larger appliances up to 12 years old on the website and also run prize draws to encourage owners to consider registering their appliances.
Here at Town & Country we care about home security and fire safety and would like to urge you to please consider registering your appliances and white goods at www.registermyappliance.org.uk, for peace of mind, fire safety at home and the chance to win some great prizes!